The Advanced Production Lab is a collaborative SMFA space with brand new, state-of-the-art equipment, including fine-art printers, a 3D plastics printer, and a large laser cutter. Students can either drop off projects or work collaboratively with staff members to learn the technology.
Laser cutting and 3D printing are available by appointment only.
Open by appointment only.
Please e-mail Laura for Fine Art Printing needs, and Simon for Digital Fabrication inquiries.
Epson 3880, and 11880
The fine-art (2D) Epson printers can print on a variety of papers up to 60" wide. Students can select photographic papers and rag papers for making final prints, or light-weight drafting paper for experimenting with scale and developing ideas.
Formlabs Form 2 3D Printers
These SLA (Stereolithography) printers allow for high resolution production of 3D prints. Students can work with a variety of resin types and modelling processes to generate creative works. Maximum build size is 6" x 6" x 6.9".
Epilog Fusion M2 Laser Cutter
This large format laser cutter can cut, engrave, or raster into a large variety of materials including acrylics, leather, paper, fabrics, and wood. It can receive materials of many sizes, with a maximum of 40" x 28".
Standard 2D Inkjet Printing / 3D Printing and Laser Cutting
Any SMFA community member needing prints/cuts related to SMFA classes may use this service.
- First-come, first-served basis
- Same-day printing for most jobs (does not include 3D Printing)
- Large jobs of 10 images/cuts or more take longer
- No proofing option
- Print cost is based on paper/material area and paper/material type
Advanced Fine Art Printing / 3D Printing and Laser Cutting
Students may make appointments with APL staff if they need assistance with proofing or printing/cutting complex projects (thesis, final project, exhibition printing, etc).
- By appointment only
- One-week turn around for jobs up to five images/cuts
- Two-week turn-around for jobs of more than five images/cuts
- $5 per half hour for assistance with proofing
- Print/Cut cost is based on paper/material area and paper/material type
Faculty and Alumni Advanced Fine Art Printing / 3D Printing and Laser Cutting
Faculty and alumni personal projects are accepted at the discretion of the APL staff, based on resource availability and scope of work.
- By appointment only
- Turn-around time is two weeks for a maximum of 10 prints/cuts
- Larger jobs take longer
- Prices for faculty/alumni projects are based on a per project basis