The School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and Northeastern University have teamed up to offer students from both schools additional access to art and design courses. The SMFA + NEU Exchange Program allows a limited number of students to take classes in areas not offered at their home institution, while providing the opportunity to explore new ideas, meet new classmates, and experiment across different mediums.
Interested students should contact Northeastern's College of Art and Design
Helena Prezio via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 617-373-4822
What will the process be for registering?
Classes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students may enroll by completing and submitting the appropriate registration form.
- Form for SMFA students interested in NEU courses »
- Form for NEU students interested in SMFA courses »
How many credits will be awarded?
Credits will be awarded as stated on the course offerings document. There is no conversion of credits, meaning that the home institution will award the credit amounts that the host institution sets.
- All courses offered to SMFA students at NEU will be four (4) credits.
- Courses offered to NEU students at SMFA will be on a two (2) or four (4) credit basis. *See specific courses for credit amounts.
- View the approved list of courses offered by each school:
Is there a cost to take an exchange course?
- There is no additional cost for the courses. Students enrolled in the SMFA + NEU Exchange will have these course credits applied to their enrollment status and tuition just as credits at the home institution do.
What are the registration dates and deadlines for each school?
Students follow the add/drop procedures associated with their primary institution:
- SMFA Open registration period: TBD
- NEU Open registration period: TBD
Is there a limit to the number of exchange courses a student can take in one semester and/or overall in their program?
- SMFA students may take only one NEU course in a given semester.
- NEU students may take a maximum of 4 credits at the SMFA in a given semester.
Who is eligible for the SMFA + NEU Exchange?
- For SMFA students, this exchange is available for full-time BFA and Studio Diploma students only.
- SMFA students may not participate in this exchange during the first or last semester of their program.
- SMFA students must be in good academic and financial standing to qualify.
- For NEU students, this exchange is available for Ugrad Day Art + Design majors only.
- NEU students may not participate in this exchange during their first semester.
- Participation in the last semester may delay receipt of diploma (this aligns with our study abroad policy in the last semester).
- NEU students must be in good academic and financial standing to qualify.